Globally, gross fraud losses reached $27.9 billion in 2018, up 16.2% from $24.0 billion in 2017. Although cardholders in the U.S. generated only 22% of global card volume in 2018, U.S. companies incurred 34% of total card fraud losses worldwide, experiencing $9.5bn of fraud losses.*
We've been at the forefront of tackling card fraud, from allowing customers to freeze / unfreeze their cards to disabling features like contactless or swipe payments and even ATM withdrawals. Your security is a huge priority for us and we take great pride in offering features that allow you to stay in control.
That’s why we also offer Disposable Virtual Cards so that you can make safe and secure online payments.
How do they work? 🤔
It's incredibly simple. Each time you make an online payment with a Disposable Virtual Card, our systems will instantly detect the transaction and then automatically destroy those card details, generating new ones that will appear directly in the app.
This will add an extra layer of security and protect customers against online card fraud, especially if you are making multiple online payments on a regular basis.
📖Do you enjoy reading our blog? Don't forget to 👌🏻
How do I set one up? 💳
Disposable Virtual Cards are only available to Premium customers, so you will need to upgrade to Premium if you have not done so already.
Once you're all set up on Premium, Jjust follow these simple steps:
- Head over to the 'cards' section in the app
- Tap ‘+’ to get to the ‘Get Card' screen, select 'Virtual debit card'
- Swipe right to 'Disposable Virtual Card' and tap on the pink button
Why do I need such a card? 🔐
Although many people believe ATM card cloning is the most common type of card fraud, data shows the majority of these cases take place online in a type of transaction known as Card Not Present or CNP.
Card Not Present transactions occur when the buyer and seller are not in the same location and the majority of CNPs consist of online payments.
Fraudsters can take advantage of this type of transaction by positioning themselves between you and the merchant while you're using your card online, in order to ‘phish’ (to copy) your card details.
Once your details have been collected, the hacker can then ‘clone’ them onto a physical card or simply use them to pay for purchases without you even realising.
📖Hey there! 👋 Don't forget to to our blog 👌🏻
Are there limits with disposable cards? ⛔
- To provide even more value to our Premium customers, Disposable Virtual Cards are currently offered as part of the Revolut Premium account.
- Each Premium user is allowed to create 1 Disposable Card per account.
- For fraud prevention purposes, a Disposable Virtual Card will work for up to five payments per day.Disposable Virtual Cards will not work with subscription services or any other type of recurring payment, since the card details will renew after every payment.
Join Revolut for Free
Manage your everyday spending with powerful budgeting and analytics, transfer money abroad, spend easily in the local currency, and so much more. Join 10M+ already using Revolut.